A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Budding "Super-Diva" or Strong-Willed Two Year-Old?

Well, I think I'm in trouble. It has been a battle of the wills around here for the last two days---I'm starting to wonder if I'm winning! The boys fought the homework last night, acting like a couple of goons; and today, Lydia seems to think that she runs the house. Not only does she not mind getting into trouble, she almost seems to enjoy being disobedient...just to see what will happen. Just now she started to draw in one of my books. She DID ask first; but as soon as I said "no" she peered over her glasses at me and started scribbling away grinning. I cannot STAND that! First, books and pencils don't mix. And second, two-year old overtly naughty girls are trouble!

In addition, we are starting to have emotionally freaky Diva problems....very simple ones, but it is emerging!

The last two days, she has become VERY opinionated about the clothing choices that I'm offering. I believe in choices, especially when it's about what you will be seen in...but this is getting ridiculous :)

I usually say "what do you want to wear today?" mainly just to humor myself and hear some two year-old conversation about the closet contents. But yesterday, I just picked an outfit without asking (and I'll admit, it wasn't my favorite either; but was mildly cute and available). As soon as I started to put it on her, she looked at it and pushed it away.

"No, it's really CUTE," I gush.
"No shirt! No cute Mommy!"

Well...it went on from there and wasn't pretty. She ended up wearing the outfit, but only after MANY tears and sobs "no cute, no cute!" "no sweater, yucky sweater!" LOL!! I really felt sorry for her, because it really wasn't that cute :) But, we were in a hurry and no time for finding something more stylish.

With tear stained cheeks, she went to Aunt Andrea's in a pastel blue and pink outfit (REALLY not her colors). I left feeling guilty, knowing that I hate to wear certain things too, especially things that are unflattering.

So....is it that my daughter really has a fashion sense? or maybe just 2, and willing to battle it out? Probably the latter. But, I will say, she DOES get excited about animal prints and bright sassy colors...so, maybe a Diva in the making! Right now, however, she is howling ever so dramatically at Ben over the Batman costume....a girl needs options, I guess. Yesterday, a pastel dud outfit; tonight, a super-hero!

2 comments:

  1. This little story made me laugh out loud!! Sounds like you are going to have your hands full with her - she will be all the "girl" you can handle - Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CANNOT believe you would have anything in your daughter's closet that is not cute. Maybe "not cute" in relation to all her other clothes?

    ReplyDelete