A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Fever, Chills, and the Zoo?

In my ongoing quest to achieve some kind of non-existent "super-mom" status, I managed yesterday to attempt something totally ridiculous....the Zoo! Maybe it was to raise my ratings on the Mommy meter due to the sickness that has left me drooping around, or perhaps it was the remnant of Tylenol PM in my system or the various other cold/cough remedies that I had taken...whatever it was....that made me flippantly mention a trip to the zoo. WHAT was I thinking?? Once the words leave your mouth though, you can't take them back or you are a Mom who doesn't keep her promises...

So yesterday with chills, a fever, and a vicious-sounding cough, I slapped together PBJ's and tossed some juice boxes in a bag. I am not too proud to admit that I was crying by the time we left, frustrated that I am sick during a week that should be fun, and peeved that a sick Mom can't find any rest or sympathy.

Sam..."Mom why are you sighing?"
Me..."I'm not sighing, that's just me trying to breathe..."

They try to be compassionate, but can only muster up a few child-like attempts.."I know you're sick mom, but the zoo will be SO fun!" What?

I managed to get a grip on myself, hoping that the 80 degree weather would make me snap out of it...until we reached the zoo. I guess everyone else in KC had the same thought...Hot Weather + Spring Break = Zoo. No parking, people in green shirts everywhere. I almost drove away...but remembered the mission, to make my kids happy :)

In short, we ate our picnic, saw a couple of animals, and spent most of the time dodging other people's strollers. I have noticed that my boys have become quite the "people watchers"---they were more interested in gawking at those on the OUTside of the cages, rather than those on the INside. I could hardly blame them...it was an interesting crowd to say the least; and those kind of places always brings out the best in people :) I spent most of the time answering their questions about why people said or did such-and-such...maybe we need to get out more? Actually, I think they are just getting good at spotting fools :)

Thankfully I was rescued by mentioning ice cream (an offer on purpose this time). Little did they know my crafty plan! No Dippin' Dots at the zoo at this time of year. So, the end result? Smiles for them and an escape plan for me, as we had to drive to Dairy Queen :)) Blizzards and NyQuil for dinner anyone? I may get that "super mom" status before the week is over...ugh, tomorrow I promised pancakes!