A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Monday, May 11, 2009

Too Familiar?

OK, I don't know what to say. I just experienced something that totally threw me off and I don't quite know what to say about it. Tonight, after a productive WA committee meeting with some cool Kindergarten moms, I just couldn't resist some alone time. Knowing that the kids were in bed, with a notebook and pens in my bag, I took a detour to my favorite authentic Mexican food joint to unwind with some spicy food and a Coke.

When I arrived, the usually long line was surprisingly small (just after the dinner rush and before the late-night snackers, I guess). I didn't have to stand in line at all and was greeted by the new guy at the head of the line. I ordered my usual burrito bowl and noticed that he was strangely trying to anticipate what I said for each choice. Finally, after I announced the meat option, he commented,
"Oh right, steak bowl! I'll remember it one of these days."

What!?...busted with my addiction.

"What do you mean?" I probed, "You recognize me?" I started feeling a little freaky at
that moment.

"Oh yeah, there's only a few people I remember and you're one of them," he replied
matter-of-fact.

I stared at the tomato salsa. "I guess I do come in here a lot, and I order the same thing."
He laughed nervously.

I was totally humiliated...the burrito guy practically knows my order!! I was really starting to sweat as I counted and realized that I had been there three times this past week...Oh no, I am a "regular"! Soon, they will call me by name and have my order waiting at the counter when I walk in. They'll greet me and I'll say, "hey Joe...did 'ya remember the guac?" as I toss a tip in the jar. Then, the grill guys will all nod and wave. And after that, the Chicas and I will share a laugh and they'll want to be my Facebook friends...aaaaahhhhhh!!

As I stood there waiting to check out, I avoided looking at anyone and wanted to hide---do they really remember me because I'm here so much...all of them? Am I a burrito bowl junkie?

It wouldn't be so bad, I thought, if the personal trainer at the gym remembered me because I was there so much; but NO, the guy who generously sprinkles on the cheese and slaps on the guacamole...he's the one who recognizes me from behind the food bar :)

I believe I have hit the point of being too familiar with my Chipotle! Perhaps it is time to frequent a new location, driving several miles to get "my fix"....shameful....and super funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment