A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Friday, May 15, 2009

Mrs. M Rewards Character

Today was the WA third grade "awards" day. In the past couple of years, I have dreaded that day for my son.


Sam works extremely hard for nine months, accomplishing tasks that I never thought possible for young ones. Some days I wish that I could go back to school at WA and learn like they do...it is truly amazing! As is typical in a lot of private schools, they are one grade ahead; meaning my third grader---who is so smart (like his Dad), but whose distracted brain runs at whirlwind speed, jumping from topic to topic, as he should be focusing on comprehending "cubic volume" and sentence diagrams---is actually doing fourth grade work! He works very hard for his B's and occasional A's.


Yet each year he has endured "awards ceremonies" that primarily focus on the kiddos who have the highest percentages in each subject. While that is definitely commendable, it makes my hard worker come home with tears in his eyes wondering why only the "smart kids" get the certificates. As a mom, I feel like punching someone when this happens; BUT, I gently remind him that he IS one of the smartest people in his class of TEN and that they are all good at different things (and I frequently remind him that he is working a grade ahead...hey, it's true and it makes him feel better!).


Imagine my joy when his superlative 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. M, announced that she felt academic rewards in a corporate setting, at that age, just bring down the achievements of others...and that HER focus would be on recognizing Godly character traits! Yes....I did hug her and tell her she was the most compassionate, thoughtful, and downright smartest lady I've ever encountered! Sam has LOVED her this year and I am so sad that he will move to a new teacher. She understands him, appreciates him for how God made him, yet challenges him, AND most of all, has brightened his outlook on school. She has boosted his self-confidence 100% with her peppy encouragement !


Anyway, I arrived this afternoon and greeted my fellow 3rd grade parents (we've all been together now for 3 years and hope to see all the kids graduate from WA together...kind of like family). Mrs. M announced each child and described the one most fitting character trait that she has observed in them, and paired that with a verse that she wrote out on their certificate. I shed a tear for each little person, as I've gotten to know them and their personality. She chose EXACTLY the trait that fit them...positively and with encouragement. It was absolutely a joyful event----not hearing about who has the highest grades, but about WHO these kids truly are.




Sam's character award? I'm proud to say that his recognition was for his "Respectfulness" (family members don't scoff!). She described his genuine regard for truth and obedience, his consideration and compassion for others, and politeness and respect towards the authority figures in his life. (Yes, I did cry). This fits him perfectly and I am still "wowing" that someone else actually sees into my child's soul and realizes the same inner qualities that I see; those that he was born with....Sam is the way he is because God made him that way.


Today, my guy came home feeling proud, appreciated and loved...no tears! Mrs. M, not only are you giving them knowledge in their minds, but you are also providing wisdom for their souls. Thank you...you are the best!!


The verse on his certificate that describes how he demonstrates respectfulness:

"Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be
compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with
blessing, because to this you were called, so that you may inherit a blessing." 1 Peter 3:8-9

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Mrs.K--you should be proud of Sam--he looks like a great young man. Also, thank you for your comments as they make us very proud and thankful for our daughter! We are the parents of Mrs. M.

    ReplyDelete