A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Jack is Given Citizenship Award

Kindergarten also had their awards ceremony last week (while I was in Chicago, no less!). I am SO proud of Jack! He received so many awards, but he and his friend Melody received the highest award given, the Citizenship Award---for outstanding behavior and character! :)
Mrs. C likes to laugh and tell people about the time she called me last October. She sent a note home.."Please call me" No mommy wants to find that in the backpack! But for several days, we couldn't get in touch and I kept wondering what was amiss. Was he just "not getting" the math or his handwriting was too atrocious to move along in Kindergarten? Worse yet, was he a jerk in class or a practical joker? Mrs. C. and I finally connected and I was shocked to hear her say,
"Well, I have never had to call about this before..." uh-oh...
"I was wondering, is Jack okay? He's just so good that I'm wondering if there is something wrong with him. He's TOO good. Is there something I should know about?"
I sighed and laughed at the same time, while assuring her that he can be a complete fool at home and as naughty as the next guy. I don't know if she believed me, but she told us on several occasions that Jack is the best behaved student that she has ever had in 35 years of teaching. I find that a bit hard to believe, but I'll take it! But, maybe she should come over sometime and see his true self!
It is very difficult for him to maintain that status though. One night after a particularly stressful tantrum, I asked him why he was acting so ridiculous. His screaming reply, "Because I'm so good at school!" Poor guy, all of that naughtiness bottled up inside, only to explode at home. Oh well, I can take whatever he dishes out. I'm so proud of you, Jack! I pray that 1st grade is just as successful for you :)

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Jack! He's so good he worries people?! That is a new one :)

    ReplyDelete