A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Monday, May 18, 2009

An Escape to Michigan Ave.

An Autism certification training has evolved into a nice getaway :) I'm in Chicago for a couple of days. The first words of many, "oh how fun! there's so much to see."

It quickly became apparent on this trip that there was to be nothing to see; just work, work, work at an airport hotel. And, mostly I was right. Much of the time, we've spent working on the Autism Clinic, generating/perfecting documents, corresponding, and phone-conferencing. Last night, to bed at midnight and Jason texted "stop fbing and answer your phone" I responded, "Fbing!? I'm WORKING here!" Does that give you any ideas about this Chicago trip?

Tonight, however, after a phone meeting, the other Theresa and I escaped on the "L" to Michigan Ave for some shopping. Her goal? American Girl for her daughters...mine was just to go along, in case I needed to clobber a mugger or something. Forget my role as the protector, or even the "doll moral support" for that matter. I had NO intention of buying anything in that store. But, in fact, I ended up with a beautiful Am. Girl doll for Lydia and trinkets for my niece's b-day! They have one "Asian" looking baby that can only be purchased in the store....not knowing when I'd be back to Chicago, had to buy it for her birthday. In all, I ended up purchasing almost as much as my friend! Peer pressure?...that's wrong.

After dinner and Mojitos at a street-side restaurant, hailed a cab back to our airport hotel prison! No escape tomorrow....training from 8-4, then to catch a flight at 5:00. Did I sign up for this??!! I don't think so, but I have been getting some nice escapes that includes Univ. paid hotel retreats :) Sitting with music, blog, and books in a quiet room....ahh, peace! Tomorrow, back to my babies and reality....

No comments:

Post a Comment