A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Friday, May 15, 2009

I survived...now for Summertime!

Finals have been completed, grades posted, client files wrapped up and I have made it through the "green year" of being a Prof. Just as a student feels after that last final, I felt the elation associated with being DONE (for now)! Sitting through Undergraduate commencement, in the faculty garb, was nice being on "the other side"...sitting there already knowing what I'm doing with my life (or halfway ;), unlike some students who are still puzzled with their destiny.



Why title this post "I survived"?? Well, because that's how I feel...that I made it through the jungle alive, without being devoured or struck down and maimed! This year was full of the same struggles faced by the SLP in any setting, just added responsibilities...challenging clients, irate and unreasonable parents in the clinic, a subpoena to court (!) and a few other "odd jobs" that mysteriously made their way into my job description after the fact (like organizing the departmental banquet and presenting at convention?).




The students are another story....I'm still learning how to be flexible, yet firm. Either way, they will complain and I end up feeling incompetent because of their griping. If you are flexible, they question your decisions and say you change your mind too much. If you are firm and no-nonsense, then they say you are too tough, mean and non-caring! Ah...balance. My goal...to earn their respect, that they accept my authority, and that they also realize I care. It will work itself out...now if I could just get people to stop thinking that I'm a student! Even with a suit and heels, I have been mistaken several times for the pupil, rather than the educator :( Maybe if I grew a few inches and didn't smile so much? Maybe I need a more serious look ;)




Despite my hectic schedule, my kids are still thriving and I still love doing what I do; but, not without some sacrifice. The boys detest staying in Aftercare at the end of the school day and I really hate being away from them so many hours in the day.



We made it though...and NOW what? This summer, I have vowed to do nothing but have FUN! Reliving my childhood days, and I don't mean high school and college...I mean WAY back; when all I did was spend the day in my swimsuit, eating Popsicles, digging in the sand, climbing trees, going for long walks, reading and napping. THAT is what I'm going to do all summer with my kids. Oh yeah, and being the Coordinator of Communication Services for the new Autism Center on campus...ONLY on Fridays though (I put my foot down---or my toe anyway. My new mantra "just say no" to more obligations!) Yea summer!
Pictured with me are a couple of my co-workers. These ladies kept me sane!

No comments:

Post a Comment