A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Saturday, January 10, 2009

The New Year...already "a pain" ?

"New year, new pain"...is that the saying? Oh yeah, it's "No pain, no gain."

Well as part of my goals for this year, I've finally joined a fitness center. I must be kidding myself to think that I actually have time to go there, but Jason is a fitness hound and has been badgering me for years that my efforts are completely unacceptable.

In his opinion, I will soon expire if I don't put down the pen and paper or books, and become serious about getting fit. How soon he forgets that I carry around 30 pound children all day long, even going so far as carrying a sleeping 30 pounder up the Great Wall and back and all throughout central China (not to mention, that I can hold him in a head lock that he can't break out of) ;-) But, my Ob/Gyn also agrees that I need to lift weights because my small bone structure puts me at higher risk for osteoporosis....I trust him, as he successfully delivered two of my children, so I accept his advice.

So, yesterday I announce "I'm going to join the fitness center" Jason's reply, "I'll believe it when I see it." Oh yeah? A challenge...so okay, here I go.

"I'm going to the gym" I say.
Ben---"NO! Don't gooooooo! Don't go to the gym!" (as if it would swallow me up and I'd never return).
The two older boys---"You're going to work out, Mom?" (with their jaws hanging open).
Lydia---"Bye-bye Mama" and blows me a kiss (she understands my need for a little encouragement).

As I left, Jason says, "Don't hurt yourself...you might overdo it. Just push the little red button on the wall and someone will surely come to help you" HA! I didn't fall for the sarcasm, but said "They really have those?" The whole time I was there, I imagined how embarrassing it would be, to require a "safety button" and have someone peel you up off of the track from over-exertion on your first day in the gym. Despite their mocking, I came back alive.

But today....the pain!! I think I did do too many push ups or tricep kick-backs (is that what the guy called them?). I woke up wondering why I couldn't bend my elbows...then realized I couldn't even lift my coffee cup up to my mouth...now, that is bad! I guess it's actually good. Anyway, the guys in my house were all satisfied that my muscles were screaming and rushed me out of the house again today....this time, I let my arms rest and tortured my legs instead....why am I doing this again? Oh yeah, bone health...and to keep the fitness buffs quiet :-)

2 comments:

  1. This one made me laugh so hard, especially the red button bit. Too funny!

    I'm sure Jason's already told you this, but drink lots of water to help flush out the lactic acid (what's making you sore). Also, don't neglect the cool down and post-workout stretch.

    I really admire that you're working out. If I were thin like you I would have a tough time getting motivated to go to the gym. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one made me laugh so hard, especially the red button bit. Too funny!

    I'm sure Jason's already told you this, but drink lots of water to help flush out the lactic acid (what's making you sore). Also, don't neglect the cool down and post-workout stretch.

    I really admire that you're working out. If I were thin like you I would have a tough time getting motivated to go to the gym. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete