A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Friday, January 9, 2009

Highlights of 2008

My Christmas cards this year had just a pic, with no letter; so maybe an update here?

Today I sat thinking of the changes and challenges brought in 2008...nothing too dramatic happened, but we did enjoy a year of action and interesting events that helped to put life into perspective.

The highlights of 2008...

For Lydia---new glasses! It took me several months to finally act on my suspicions that something wasn't right with her eyes. Sure enough, she has astigmatism that will require little glasses forever. We go to a wonderful Opthamologist who pioneered the use of video screenings which allows them to see refraction errors in little ones---what a wonderful thing! Her little glasses are adorable and she loves to wear them. Of course, I made a HUGE deal about them the day we got them...telling her how beautiful she was and strolling along the Plaza with an ice cream treat---about 20 people stopped to tell her how fashionable they are. Now, she will hardly take them off, AND no more running into walls :-)

For Ben---preschool! He enjoyed going to preschool while I worked, but cried everyday in such a huge, dramatic way that it was embarrassing to drop him off. He is a momma's boy and really did not enjoy the time away from me...the solution? Aunt Andrea will now watch Lydia and Ben while I'm on campus---what a treat for the kids and a comfort to me! There is nothing like being with family...

For Jack---Kindergarten! Our resident "lefty" is learning cursive, math facts, phonograms, and reading. He loves to learn and is a diligent student...very organized and thorough. It did take him a while to stop flopping around about doing his homework each night; but now, all is well. My biggest challenge is trying to help adjust his worksheets for a 'lefty'. How can one copy passages, when the words are covered by your arm?! Spelling lists and copy work are sure designed for right-handed people. He'll figure it out I guess!

A minor trauma for Jack this summer was his scary loss of vision, MRI, and fear that he might have a brain tumor. It doesn't sound so bad when I write it now, because all is back to normal and well; but at the time it was a bit freaky and bewildering. I remember sitting in the waiting room, imagining what scenarios my life was about to take if I found out that my little one was going to lose his vision forever or needed cancer treatment. I remember feeling just a neutral peace, realizing that there was nothing I could do about it, but just take action and try to solve the problem. In the end, his vision returned and was most likely from a bleed in his eye from bonking his face. Relief and thankfulness :-))

For Sam---3rd Grade! Sam absolutely has the best teacher in the world! She truly understands his learning style, appreciates him for who he is; and most of all, is spunky and FUN---I love those kind of people :-) Mrs. M is a joy to learn from and he loves to go to school each day and "get back to his routine" as he explains. Yesterday, he told me that his "pedagogue" told him such and such.... I love it :-)

For Me---the "downer"...a two-month mystery illness, which ended up being a parasite that I picked up in China on our first trip. Because my symptoms were not 'textbook,' the docs were a bit clueless and only looked into giardia after I insisted (actually with a bit of yelling and drama). What an ordeal---I have never been so tired, depressed, and thin in my life! I honestly thought I was dying of some strange illness, but thankfully was cured by a serious dose of meds and in two days felt myself again.

The "up-side" for Me...an awesome new job, that I absolutely LOVE at the University. It was a challenge learning to deal with the issues of this generation of student---I tend to be a bit "old-school" and they tend to be a bit "coddled." And, it is a challenge keeping up with the latest research in speech and language and more precisely, helping the students learn the intuitive aspects of dealing with their patients. They are generally great with 'book knowledge,' but in the clinic need quite a bit of direction---and they seem to think that they are 'experts' after only one patient ;) I constantly wish that there was more time in my day to spend with them.

For Jason---Good-Bye Sprint...time to bail! After almost nine years with Sprint, it was time to move on and Jason took a new position in a group that has now spun off to become Clearwire (uses a technology kind of like WiFi---that's all I know and understand :). He made it through many lay-offs because of the groups/technology that he dealt with, but time there is wearing out, I think. We will miss several things about Sprint, namely cheap phones and employee calling plans, tuition reimbursement, and a great workout facility on campus!

For Us...Lydia's adoption story that I wrote was published in an annual publication by Christian music artist Steven Curtis Chapman's organization, "Shaohannah's Hope" which provides financial assistance to adoptive families. I was SO excited to have Lydia's story published and see her pics in glossy print, in hopes that our story is an encouragement to other families seeking to adopt :-)) And, of course a highlight for all was our return trip to China.

What did I gain in '08...? To have peace in the midst of life's storms, knowing that there is something to learn with each trial, and that there is "joy in the morning."

What will 2009 bring? Probably no adoptions or trips to China, so that means less gray hair and less chance of catching a mystery illness...that's a definite plus :-) Perhaps pursuing more writing projects? The time moping around with my illness really gave me motivation in that area...we'll see....

No comments:

Post a Comment