A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ice Skating Turns Ugly


Last night we trekked to Crown Center for our annual ice skating outing! The boys really look forward to it and we were taking advantage of "warmer" temps.












We have been going since Sam was about 3 and even though they go so infrequently, they are quite good skaters! I used to skate, but the last few years I spend my time watching, while entertaining little ones. So, Jason's job is to teach the older ones. He's an excellent skater, after he "self-taught" his own ice tricks when he used to play hockey in San Diego. Dragging around little ones is not quite as exciting as shoving guys into the wall and slapping a puck, though; but I make him go every year anyway.



After locating hats and gloves and dictating layers for each person, we set out (with a little thermos of cocoa as requested). All was going well---Ben and Lydia were very happy to sit on the sidelines and watch...and I was happy trying out my new Nikon super-zoom lens. Jack did several solo rounds, which he was so excited about! Soon, the boys were anticipating the Zamboni (which is always a highlight) and I was relieved that they were having a good time with no mishaps.












Soon though, the joy ended....As I happily and obliviously snapped pics, the boys returned from a lap with Jason following them. He then leaned over the rail holding his arm. I wasn't really listening at first, as I dabbed cocoa off of my puffy coat, but heard, "I took a spill...I think I broke my arm...."



pic---just prior to the incident, I suppose...



Now, Jason is well-known for sarcasm, over-exaggerating, and sometimes complaining :) so at first, I kept swiping at the cocoa and tucking Lydia with her blanket. But then I realized the pain in his voice and became a little concerned as I listened to the story. Then I realized...fun over, time for the ER. Apparently he was skating backwards while helping Jack, a girl fell right behind him and he tripped over her backwards, landing full-force on his arm/elbow.


He has pretty high pain tolerance---not only does he look like the new Bond, but he can snarl and hold pain just like him too! But, "James" was groaning on the side bench and I could tell this was serious...so my mind began considering scenarios for care and what to do next. We decided to head to a hospital on the eastern side of the city near our Ortho. doc in case he was needed.




Jack---"I thought you said we could skate as long as we wanted?!" Does he really think I am that mean, I thought, making them leave before the Zamboni!? After a quick explanation that Dad had to go to the hospital, Jack's eyes widened and realization showed in his eyes. Thankfully, the Zamboni emerged just in time to entertain the kiddos while I assisted with removing skates. After taking the kids to Andrea's to sleep over, we headed to the ER. Two hours later, we emerged...the result---a radial-head fracture which was soft-set and he will see our Orthopedic surgeon friend next week. Got to bed around 1 am---a little Vicodin for him, nothing for me (but I did consider it :)


Never a dull moment around here! Overall, he's VERY frustrated at not being able to work out for 6+ weeks...(maybe he won't hound me about going to a "lift" class now that he can't workout too!) I just "go with the flow" and remind him that it could be WAY worse. I'm now the nurse/caretaker (which I'm not very good at...I lack patience and tenderness, I think) and we carry on...


Will we return to the ice again? Hmmm...perhaps it will be ME on the ice next time, and I'll be lucky if he agrees to go :-) But, "James" is tough and I'm sure his Bond-like stubbornness will return and his skates will be sharpened again and ready in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment