A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Friday, January 1, 2010

Saltwater Therapy


Every mommy needs a break...but this mommy needs a serious dose of saltwater therapy in order to maintain sanity. In fact, a bit of white sand and palm trees doesn't hurt either. So, that is exactly where I am.










We are all missing my Uncle this holiday, as he passed away in November. My aunt is a determined woman, and is showing herself strong. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to go with her on the annual winter getaway to Florida. We have had such a wonderful time being together and as she says, "we both need to relax".





So, here I am spending the new year in Florida, with my dear aunt, who is more like a grandmother to me. Years of having babies and raising little ones has kept our time together infrequent. I'm so happy for the chance to help her adjust to her time here without my uncle and renew our relationship.

I find that we are very much alike! Sand lover, spunky, fun, determined, and independent. (I guess that can also read: bossy, hard-headed, busybody, and micro-manager :)) Aunt Sue has taught me much about fashion, classiness, etiquette, and poise ever since I was a little girl. I haven't always modeled her advice; but as it goes, now as an adult I can appreciate her influence in my life so much more.
It is wonderful spending time together and helping her set up the house for the season. We have had a great time doing absolutely nothing! Laughing, catching up, lounging on the beach, shopping for unique jewelry and bargains, painting our nails, talking over coffee and wine...it doesn't get any better than this :)
The funniest adventure so far has been our treasure hunting on the streets of the neighborhood before trash day---she always has an eye for great finds, especially items that other people think are un-useful, but are perfectly good with a little TLC and know-how.
Yesterday on our way to run errands, we spotted a beautiful (and heavy!) dark wooden wicker sofa sitting out for the garbage. I said, "Wow, that looks perfectly good!" Her response, "Well it does! Let's stop....." and then, "You know, we just have to get it!" Well, she has a huge old Lincoln (or something) and there was NO way it would fit in her car. But, with the house just around the block, she fetched the neighbor, he slid HALF of the long sofa into the trunk and pronounced, "No it won't work" my reply..."Start driving, I'll carry the other end" and I carried half of it home while he drove the other end in the car. We laughed the whole way! The things you do for people you love. Packing around kids for a living does have its benefits....it weighed a ton. I think that I lost some feeling in my ring fingers...I was never so happy to get around a block in my life. But, the whole time I was thinking that she just HAD to have this piece of junk, how we could make it look brand new, and thinking of the resourcefulness that I had learned from her :))

I miss my kiddos, but I've learned that in order for me to be a good Mommy I need to do things for myself (even if that means escaping for 10 days!). And, I'm learning that I can't let my life become so busy that I don't have time for relationships. Here's to improving both of these aspects, self-care and relationship-building, in 2010!
Happy New Year from Ft. Myers Beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment