A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Friday, April 3, 2009

My baby is 9...Happy Birthday, Sam!

Nine years ago, my sweet first-born came into the world. I hope that I will never forget the moment I first stared into his blinking, curious eyes. It was a moment full of awe and wonder; also a moment of fear, relief, and happiness. What a huge day! The birth of a child is such a miraculous and overwhelming event!


Even today, nine years later, I experience these same emotions as I watch Sam grow up! Awe, in living with him every day...realizing what a wonderful person he is, how intelligent he is, seeing the compassion that flows from his heart, and the craziness that he brings to our home. His impulsiveness, boundless energy and free-thinking is a challenge most days, and brings fear to a mother's heart when I ponder what will become of him if he doesn't learn to harness those qualities that God has given him!
pic...here Sam looks over his new "Magic Eyes" book (visual puzzles).





Tonight we celebrated his birthday at Siki, the local Japanese Steakhouse. I figured that he would choose someplace more common, but wasn't surprised as it was his opportunity to experience some fire! Birthday dinners are getting more pricey, as they are learning to forgo the chicken strips and appreciate the steak and shrimp instead. We're in trouble once they realize the difference between the sirloin and the filet...that will come soon I think :)

pic...Sam holding the plate of pink cakes. I think that he might become a pastry chef (if his inventions don't turn out).






Some pics of our chef entertaining us. Notice the flames jumping out towards the kids? I think Lydia almost got her face singed off. She left with some pink cheeks! The chef made it up to her for scaring the wits out of her with fire, by hooking her up with tiny bits of diced steak and shrimp, and a huge pile of fried rice.
Ben was successful with his "kid chop-sticks" and eagerly ate his plateful of steak... "no rice!" he yelled at the chef. Thankfully the guy was cheerful and was not offended by our verbose child.

No comments:

Post a Comment