A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Gift of the Robin

For the past three years, robins have made their nests in our window ledges. Typically, they have chosen right outside of Sam's bedroom window. This year, she chose my window. I always wonder why they don't select a nice tall tree, or someplace more private. We are quite loud, especially when the boys discover them and are constantly bothering her at the window, with their noses smashed into the glass.



Have you ever fully watched a bird make her nest from start to finish, lay her eggs, sit on them, and have little birdies outside your window, until they are able to fly away? It truly is an interesting and exciting thing to experience---and we have three times! The process really is quite short. She finished her nest last weekend while I napped (I heard her patting mud, twigs, and dried grasses into a bowl shape, which kept me awake). By the end of the week, there were four eggs in the nest---one or two each day. Within another week or so, they will hatch and we will watch her bringing food to them. Within another couple of weeks, they will turn from fuzz to feathers and one-by-one, she will push them from the nest.



Momma robin is quite patient, determined, organized, and plans everything just perfectly. She cares for the birdies carefully, but also runs a "tight-ship"! and soon, boots them out and is on her own again. She does ALL of this within a couple months time. How thankful I am that I get so much more time with my little ones before I "boot them out." Why didn't God make me as efficient as a momma bird? That's why I need more time I guess...surely about 18 years is enough to get these little ones in shape and ready for the world?



As I have watched her each day, I am reminded that my time with my kids is fleeting. They are growing and maturing faster than I will ever become the most proficient or perfect mom---but, I am inspired by the robin! Efficiency, productivity, and nurturing are being modeled for me right outside my window. Even in the storms, she is content as long as her babies are safe and by her side. Ah yes, during those times, productivity ceases and is unimportant. She sits quietly waiting for the storms to pass; she knows that the sun will come out tomorrow and she will again be busy. But for now, she watches the rain and waits....resting and watching over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment