A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Sunday, November 23, 2008

What a huge first day!










Well, today was quite a huge event, packed with surprises and activities.

We began the day visiting the Ministry of Civil Affairs, where our group was greeted by the Secretary of State of China, along with several other government officials. The welcoming ceremony involved a wonderful slide show with pictures of all of the families and girls who were present. The Secretary of State gave a short speech, greeted the children, encouraged the parents by acknowledging our ties with China and his appreciation that we have brought them back to experience their homeland.

Because it is a Sunday, we were very impressed that the Sec of State would be here and really realized what a big deal this trip is, what enormous amount of planning has taken place for us, and what a wonderful experience this will be!

The staff of the Bridge of Love Adoption Service (who is hosting us) performed Chinese folk dancing, we did a group picture, and the children received gifts from the Sec of State. Many cameramen were there and we afterwards realized that our event was broadcast on China t.v.---the main news channel in China, AND we were in the newspaper! Articles were written up about our heritage visit---what a positive representation of international adoption! AND, Sam made it in China Daily (the English version of Beijing's daily paper)!!!


After the opening cermony, we visited the Olympic venues...the Bird's nest and Water Cube and then went on to the Great Wall. Everyone of course stares at the boys and people want to touch them---especially Jack, because he has blue eyes! They were asked several times for photo opps with teenage girls...little American boys as a photo prop :-))

The Great Wall trip was wonderful in that we were able to visit a site that we had not seen last year. We were able to take a cable car up to the wall (much to my dismay, as I have a fear of snapping cables and plummeting to my death! I imagined my demise on national Chinese television that night....but agreed to ride up!) After we got up to the wall, the boys had a GREAT time! The most smiles we've seen on the trip!

They and their new pal, Emma Kate, conquered the Wall together, hand in hand...so sweet :-)) I'll include pics after I get on the bus!

The peddlers on the way back down drew me in to look at t-shirts and other trinkets. Jack was absolutely shocked by the behavior of the lady pushing her wares, and even more shocked at our banter back and forth---I think he thought a fight was going to break out over her and I arguing about price! Luckily, they don't speak English and I could talk to him about what was going on without the lady knowing what we were saying. I bought a few things, with the lady cursing me and glaring because they think they don't get enough money. "So much money!" she yells at me, critisizing me that I'm too "rich" (notice the quotes :-). I feel badly for trying to get things cheap, but also know that what I'm buying is junkie anyway...not like shopping a boutique :-) Will post pics later

No comments:

Post a Comment