A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Icy Travels

As is typical for me, travel usually involves some sort of weather stress and our holiday trip to Indiana was no different...ice, ice, ice!

With each tenth of a mile, I wondered if we would be the next vehicle off the road into a ravine---there were many unfortunate folks finding themselves in that situation. Thankfully we (and my sister and parents) all made it through without incident. As we drove, I longed for sunny California and imagined myself living there again to avoid all of this winter weather...I really despise it. Maybe someday I will have sun and sand again, but for now...to be close to Grandmas and Grandpas.





Things are changing in Indiana....with each yearly trek to visit my family there are more differences. My grandparents no longer live in their little house. It is unoccupied, but still has all of their belongings. They now live in a little built-on apartment with my aunt's family. It is difficult to encounter the changes that take place with age---they are no longer spry and active, but are still quite sharp and love to see how our lives are unfolding.




Some of the changes are nice though. Instead of staying with my grandparents, we have to find other lodging now that there are so many of us. This year, we stayed in an Inn at a nearby state park. It has become a favorite place for us because the Lodge is kid friendly and is set back in the forest and hills of southern Indiana. No-frills that's for sure, but it is quaint with a feel of stepping back in time. It is actually quite a retreat, and someday I hope to curl up with a book or write by the blazing fire in the dimly lit lodge (when I am no longer chasing little ones!). Such simple dreams!







The kids posed with Smokey the Bear and found marble ramps in the game room.







No comments:

Post a Comment