A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Monday, June 22, 2009

Jack's Imagination Goes Wrong

Today is one of those days that must be chronicled in the annals of my life. Maybe someday I will look back on it and laugh, but right now I am steaming and about to cry, wondering what is going to become of me as I deal with these kids. Just yesterday when I thought that I might be a good candidate for some anxiety-reducing medication, I never imagined that this day would be the icing on the proverbial cake, and that I need to call someone for counseling....

In about twenty years, talk around our Christmas dinner table will sound something like this:

Sam: "Hey Jack! Remember the time, when you were six (or was it seven?) and you called 911?"

Jack: "Oh yeah! I'll never forget that! That was SO funny! Man I was scared and Mom was
SO mad. Do you remember that mean police lady that came to the door and told Mom that she should watch us better and that she could cart me off to jail?!"

Sam: "Yeah, I was shaking too! I thought she was going to put you in the back of the police car! Remember Mom trying to apologize to her and the officer lady was such a witch to Mom and Mom told her it was 'over the edge' to threaten to take a 6 year-old to jail?"

Jack: "Oh yeah! I forgot Mom tried to tell her off (after she got done yelling at me). Hey, what was the big deal anyway? I don't remember why they came to the house."

Sam: "Don't you remember?! You called 911, hung up, then when the police dept called back
you asked 'who they were working for' and threatened to blow them up?! Remember, you were pretending like you were some kind of spy?"

Jack: "Oh yeah! I always liked to play spy. Remember that the dispatcher on the phone was
badgering Mom about who the kid was on the phone because they had my voice recorded and belittled her that she didn't even know what her kid was doing....and she freaked out on him yelling that she had four kids in the house and no idea which one of us made the prank call. Remember that? (ha ha ha ha) "

Sam: "Yeah and remember the dispatcher said that 'the kid's words and threat were too elaborate for a six year old' and Mom told him that her kids were more advanced than typical kids?"

Jack: "Oh yeah! HA HA....wow, that was something....boy was mom MAD!"


Well unfortunately folks, this is not the work of fiction----it just happened to me. I wish that I could say I just made that up. Hopefully, I'll look back on this and laugh?? I was standing in the foyer the entire time talking to a gutter/deck contractor...only 10 feet from the kids...when this all happened. The gutter guy and I chatted away while my son threatened to blow up whoever was on the other end of the phone...unfortunately it happened to be the police!

Overall, leave it to my most imaginative and ornery son to do this. He claims he truly did not know that he was talking to the police...he thought that a prankster had returned the call after his "911 hangup". He didn't know that the police call back after you hang up on 911 !!!

I was SO mad and about in tears. The police officers 1)treated me like an idiot, 2) insinuated that I am a neglectful parent, and 3) the witchy police woman totally overstepped her authority and her intent to frighten Jack by threatening to take him to jail! I really lost it then. I thought that it was great that they were really taking it seriously, but then totally overstepped in trying to teach him a lesson. Now he will never want to call 911 (even when he needs it) and he will have ingrained in his mind that police officers are jerks, unfriendly, and NOT here to help us. She could have gotten her message across in a better way and did some "clean up" at the end of her yelling....instead she ripped my front door open before I could even open it for her, she continued to yell at him and tell him lies for about 5 minutes, then without saying good-bye or 'closing it up' with me, she stormed off down my yard as I was trying to apologize and told me "watch your kids better." That's when I let loose and told her that her threat of jail was uncalled for. I can't believe I got in an argument with a police officer! She knew she was wrong, I could tell, but just told me I could file a complaint if I wanted.

Where are these jerks when the kids at the park down the street are smoking pot and bashing in our mailboxes at 11 p.m.? I guess answering pranks from 6 year-olds??? I can't believe my day has gone like this...I should be at the pool!

Needless to say, ALL of the kids were lectured and sent to bed. Lydia was oblivious, the boys were about to pee their pants, and shakily went down to ponder their fate and take a nap. I sat here shaking with anger---at Jack, and the way I was treated by the authorities.

Those anti-anxiety meds are looking better--will I survive? :) I'm going to take a nap....I'll make sure to lock the doors and take the phone of the hook---so that the next time it rings, it's not a call-back from the PD!

3 comments:

  1. Theresa- This made me laugh and tear up at the same time! You poor thing... like you said, someday you will laugh, but for now it is so maddening! This reminds me of the time my daughter cut 10 inches off the back of my hair... I was livid... she thought she was helping me... you know, free haircut? LOL! Now I laugh, then, not so much...

    Love and prayers to you!

    Anne Idler

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's ridiculous! Can they not save their anger for someone who deserves it? I would report that officer, if you didn't get the badge number, I'm sure they could find who went by their log.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like that officer needs some "sensitivity training." I would report her too. Ridiculous. Sorry you had such a crappy day!

    ReplyDelete