A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Imagining Summer...Peace for Moms!




I always wished I could conjure up an imaginary friend like Hobbes. One that would help entertain me and be my partner in crime no matter how scary or lame the adventure. I guess my imagination is not expanded enough to do that though, because no invisible friend ever appeared. I couldn't even manage to give my stuffed animals a personality. I was always sad for myself and envious of little girls who had one (however, now I've learned from my psych friends that the imaginary friend is not such a positive thing from the mental health perspective!)

As the mama of four trying to survive....uh, I mean ENJOY (!)...the summer with my kids, I find myself wishing that they would find some imaginary pal who would respond to their every whim. So far, they think that playmate is ME! For a couple of hours that is okay, but after a few days of the constant noise, requests for games, sports, outdoor craziness, crafts, activities, exploring etc. etc., I have made an announcement...."I am NOT your CLOWN, here to entertain you! Either play with each other, or play by yourself, just keep busy!"....end of lecture. For the first week of summer, that's very revealing, isn't it?

That reminded me of Calvin today and what a great pair he and Hobbes make for summer fun :) My kids are like Calvin, demanding fun and justice for kids (sans the overboard smarty-pants mischievous side, thankfully). But, I'm hoping that they soon realize that I am not the playmate Hobbes. I am rather the frazzled cartoon mother that is usually depicted screaming her head off! I'm praying for 3 months of sustained energy and EXCITEMENT for the summer, without anxiety attacks and gloom :)

Wishing all kids out there, the ability to give their mothers peace, love, and obedience during this joyful summer time. And wishing all my mommy-chics the ability to maintain calmness and kid-like happiness, while enjoying snippets of selfish adult fun every couple of days for these long months :)

If you start talking to an imaginary friend at this point in the game, don't worry....it's okay! Just pull her up a lounge chair, offer her a drink, introduce her to the kids and enjoy yourselves ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment