A Little Laughter, A Little Emotion.....A Lot of Reality

Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Value of Earning Money...Not Just a Handout

Today I smiled as I handed each older boy $21. Why would I smile at that? Well, they are slowly, but clearly, starting to learn the value (and payoff) of hard work. And I'm beginning to learn that they are VERY capable!

I am kind of against "allowance." That may sound stingy, or mean, or whatever....but the idea of just handing someone money, without making them lift a finger just doesn't sit right. Even a toddler can pick up toys off the floor to earn a few cents--it's not hard. So, why reward a child with money for doing nothing? There are some things in our house that are just expected; throw your stinky clothes down the laundry chute (no, you don't get money for that), put your soggy cereal bowl in the sink (again, no, you don't get cash). Now, however, the boys are getting quite capable of helping around the house...doing things that I consider "extra work." The type of thing that goes above and beyond daily living. And I will gladly pay them to do it, because that takes the work-load off of me!

I am happy to say that I now have a CLEAN white vinyl fence! When we installed that type of fencing, I knew that it would require some kind of maintenance (nothing is truly maintenance-free). It has been nearly five years and has never been scrubbed....SO, I offered the boys $1 per panel to scrub it. Sam quickly counted all of the panels and calculated that if they worked together, they would EACH have $21! THIS deal was worth it to them, as they now have "optional desirables" that they wish to purchase.

The chore was put off for awhile, but one evening Jason had them set up with soapy water and scrub brushes. After the first panel, they whined, they complained, they belly-ached. They even ditched the project for the evening. But that night, I heard them in bed planning and scheming what to do with their tons of money. By the next morning, they were refreshed and set to work scrubbing the ENTIRE fenced-off backyard---42, four-foot panels! That's ALOT of fence! They stayed out there all morning, scrubbing away, eventually finding a rhythm and easier way of accomplishing the chore. It was really neat to watch them work so hard, like 2 little Tom Sawyers painting the fence....all because they wanted to EARN that money.


The fence is clean (and maybe not as good as we adults could have done); but nonetheless, the chore was complete from beginning to end and the $42 was gladly handed over. Yea, new workers around my house! And, they are learning the value and rewards of hard work...no work, no pay :) Last night they grilled the burgers from start to finish...no pay, BUT they are proud that they can finally help out with adult-type tasks. This is going to be nice for a weary momma :)))

Now, wonder how much $$ will motivate them to weed the flowerbeds. And I wonder when they can start mowing? maybe painting? I think for now I'll stick with chores that don't involve sharp blades and are mostly "error-free" :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment